Patrick Mahomes Isn’t a Heisman Contender Even Though He’s Better Than Five of Them [VIDEO]
Of the 7 current Heisman Trophy contenders, 5 are quarterbacks. And Texas Tech's QB Patrick Mahomes has better stats than ALL OF THEM.
Here are the QBs that are in the running this year and their stats:
1. Lamar Jackson, Louisville: 4,928 total yards (3,390 passing, 1,538 rushing) and 51 total touchdowns (30 passing, 21 rushing)
2. Deshaun Watson, Clemson: 3,676 passing yards, 34 passing touchdowns, 14 interceptions, 44 rushing yards and four touchdowns
3. Baker Mayfield, Oklahoma (and former Texas Tech QB): 3,381 yards, 35 touchdowns, 8 interceptions, 138 rushing yards and six touchdowns.
4. Jake Browning, Washington: 3,162 yards, 40 touchdowns, and 7 interceptions
5. Jalen Hurts, Alabama: 2,454 yards, 21 touchdowns, 9 interceptions, 840 rushing yards and 12 scores
And now for Patrick's stats:
5,052 passing yards, only the 11th player in NCAA HISTORY to go over 5,000 for the season. More than all the contestants. And coincidentally the number 2 passer is Davis Webb, another former Red Raider.
5,337 total yards, again more than the others.
53 total touchdowns, more than the others also.
So looking at Patrick's stats blowing the competition away, how is he not in the Heisman contest? I don't know, I'm really asking.
Disclaimer: These statistics might have changed since I saw them and aren't meant to be absolutely accurate. I'm a DJ, not a sports statistician. But still: #GUNSUP #WRECKEM