If Officer Catherine Richardson Calls, Hang Up! [SCAM]
So here we go again in the cavalcade of fake collection calls.
I got this one last night and nearly laughed myself stupid.
Office Catherine Richardson is obviously a robot -- or has the worst voice for radio ever. And I do like how she starts, 'Hey, this is...' Really, scam call center people?
Apparently, I have a warrant from the IRS Office of Tax and Criminal Investigations (of which no such division exists).
Apparently, my home is under surveillance as well. And they need me to call them to settle this matter.
Folks, please don't fall for this garbage, and share with your elderly friends as they are the group most likely to fall for these scams.
The common sense rules are as follows:
- Don't answer numbers that you don't recognize. Let them go to voicemail.
- Don't believe what anyone you don't know or do business with tells you.
- Don't ever confirm anything with someone you don't know, especially over the phone.
- If someone says you owe money and you don't HANG UP!
- The cops, IRS, FBI, or process servers WILL NOT CALL YOU if there's a problem. They will either mail you or just come to you, PERIOD. (And we don't have debtor's prison, so you can't go to jail for not paying a bill.)
For tips, you can use to spot scam calls check out the Federal Trade Commissions website.