As the weather continues to get warmer, you might be itching to get out of the house and explore the South Plains. Here are some ghost towns not too far from Lubbock that may be worth an exploration.
Farmer, TexasYoung County
Farmer was originally named Brush or Brushy. The town was later renamed after Reverend William Farmer.
There are a number of interesting historical items to see here, including an old school safe, bell, school bus and cemetery.
The town peaked at about 150 residents. However, World War II demands saw many residents heading overseas to fight and the town never quite recovered. The town is on the outskirts of Graham, Texas -- about three hours east of Lubbock. [Source]
Hitson, TexasFisher County
Settled by ranchers John and William Hittson in 1870, this community northwest of Abilene was the home to a post office, school and a few other businesses, along with about 32 families and 120 school-aged children, due in part to the discovery of oil in the area after World War I.
However, much like other small Texas towns, the start of World War II ushered in change as most of the young residents left to take part in the war effort, leaving local farmers work forces depleted and unable to continue operations. [Source]
Medicine Mound, TexasHardeman County
About 120 miles northeast of Lubbock lies Medicine Mound.
Named due to the two 'mountains' seen from the highway, which rise 200-250 feet above elevation, Medicine Mound was once fairly thriving, having 22 businesses and a population around 500.
Aside from economic hardships of the Great Depression, a fire in 1933 burned most of the town and led to its ultimate demise. [Source]
Adobe Walls, TexasHutchinson County
While there isn't much left to see in this former town, located approximately 70 miles east of Amarillo, it is the historic site of not one but two battles in the 1800s.
The first battle in 1864 between Kit Carson and hostile Kiowas Indians yielded three dead and about 15 wounded on the Army's side and 60 killed or wounded Indians. The second battle, about 10 years later, happened after Dodge City, Kansas merchants had set up shop for trade with the areas buffalo hunters. Their complex was overwhelmed by 300 to 1,000 hostile Indians. While the defenders only suffered three casualties, they subsequently abandoned their post. [Source]
Tascosa, TexasOldham County
For fans of really old cemeteries or old west cowboy living, Tascosa is the place to go.
The town's first business was blacksmithing, followed by a general store and post office. Settled by folks from New Mexico, the area was named Atascosa for the swamp-like landscape due to the merging of the Canadian river and area creek.
Tascosa was named the 'Cowboy Capitol of the Plains' due to lawmen and outlaws either settling permanently or leaving the area quickly.
While not much remains today, you can still see the Boy's Ranch and Boot Hill, an old cemetery whose graves are filled with men who 'died with their boots on.' [Source]
10 Haunted Locations in Lubbock