This Is Why Your Power May Go Out This Weekend In Lubbock
The switch to ERCOT is coming for Lubbock residents on Lubbock Power and Light and this weekend the final historic migration of customers will occur.
According to Lubbock Power and Light, this weekend they will be connecting all remaining customers to the Electric Reliability Council of Texas also known as ERCOT. This amounts to about 30% of the LP&L system that will be moved over. Back in 2021, 70% of customers were moved over to ERCOT.
LP&L crews will be working Saturday, December 9th and Sunday, December 10th from 6 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Monday from 6 a.m. to about 12:30 p.m. on making all the necessary connections.
LP&L Warns You Could Lose Power This Weekend
Customers who have already been switched over to ERCOT have nothing to worry about. But those who haven't been moved over could face power outages during the switch over. Lubbock Power and Light officials say outages should last an average of 30 minutes.
You can actually see an estimated time for your planned outage by visiting the LP&L website and putting in your meter number which can be found on your bill.
Tracking Progress and Lubbock Power Outages
According to the press release, customers can check outages and track a progress map beginning Saturday.
To check outages in progress during the weekend, visit the Outage Map: https://lpandl.com/powering-lubbock/power-outages
· Starting Saturday morning, the LP&L and the City will have a Progress Map on its websites where the public can see which portions of work have been completed.
· Information on the project will also be located at CityofLubbockUtilities.com
· Monitor progress and project updates throughout the weekend by following LP&L and the City of Lubbock social media.
Lubbock Power and Light is also warning people that traffic lights and railroad crossings could be affected by the outages. Lubbock Police will be helping with traffic control during the outages.
LP&L offered these tips for those impacted by the outages.
Although it is not mandatory that customers perform the following tasks, LP&L always issues the following tips for customers when planned outages occur:
· Unplug sensitive electronic equipment, such as computers and televisions.
· Make sure food stays as cold as possible by keeping your refrigerator and freezer closed.
· Notify any security companies you use to monitor your business
· Utilize a backup power supply as necessary.
If your power goes out this weekend and you are on LP&L, don't call 911 and you don't even have to call LP&L due to smart meters. You can report an outage if you want via email to email@example.com or by calling 806-775-2509 but most likely, they will already know about your outage.
21 Awesome Places to See Christmas Lights in Lubbock 2023
Places To Take Photos With Santa in Lubbock 2023
Lubbock Breakfast Burrito Trail: 26 Must-Try Spots
Gallery Credit: Kelsee Pitman